Monday, August 13, 2007

Some Day...Part 1

I rarely watch TV for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post but now that I have bought one, I end up spending at least a few minutes everyday. This duration increases a little more because of cricketing season. Not that I am an avid cricket follower but being an Indian, the whiff of it does invade my nostrils every now and then and I am compulsively drawn towards the TV.

Two days back, during the tea break of Indo-English Test match, they brought up SRK and Gavaskar together. SRK was there to promote his CHAK DE and Gavaskar was there for obvious reasons. After the usual pleasantries, SRK made a beautiful statement. "The best thing I like about my profession is that I get to meet great people without an effort. I have adored Gavaskar since my childhood days and today I get to have a dinner with him". I liked the notion and the intention behind it, particularly because it was so genuinely stated. I immediately stepped into Shekhchilli Shoes, adjusted the pillow behind my back, reclined on the couch, rested my right foot ankle on the left knee and while wiggling my tows, I freed my brooding cow to graze. Honey,...feast on...everything is on the house...!!

I imagine being a celebrity. (I assume therefore I am) Now I don’t want it like Hugh grant of Notting Hill. Coming out of my house in boxers and being photographed maddeningly by a slew of them. I am a celebrity of rather laid back popularity. Somewhat like a great writer or a painter or musician. One who is God in his field but is not a public face that is recognized in every street. I am the guy who is adored among rookies and critics alike. I am profiled on cover page of TIME or Sunday magazine of TOI sometimes. I work only when I feel like and I make as much money as is sufficient to allow me careless squandering. In the times when I do not work, I go on long cruises on my beloved bike and explore all great places around the world.

I meet Roger Federer on one such cruise. We take a jog together and then we hit the tennis court. We play for endless hours. Win some lose some. :-)) I nag him to teach me that impeccable lofted backhand. He obliges and now I know how to play that Godly stroke.

Daytime is for Steve Jobs. He shows me around Cupertino and Emeryville. He tells me how he can imagine right things right way at the right time and every time. The World of Macs, iPods and iPhones...my God, it amazes me even in my fanciful dreams. I will also request him to clean up the palm rest area of my white macbook. It’s become a bit soiled and I don’t have the right chemical solution to clean it up. He then introduces me to Brad Bird and John Lasseter. We all share the table, just for one day in Pixar cafe.

I kick start my bike and go further. I ride long miles, all alone. On the foothills of those soothing mountains, and on the well paved super fast highways, along the heavenly rivers and in the formidable woods. Its evening time, sun is slowly retiring, reddening the whole sky and making the scene a bit dull and boring. I suddenly see dear Sush standing in the middle of the highway. Clad in that 'SAMAY' Dress, (wanna make it that thin plain chiffon saree of 'Main Hoon Na' but not a good combo with my bike) loose hair, that gorgeous posture and that killing smile. She is asking for a lift. I ask her to hop on and we go ahead. I am reinvigorated and we ride a few more hours before the lip smacking candle lit dinner in 'Mainland china'. After that........

It’s a coffee call from the friends right now and I am back from my reverie. Second day will be documented some other time...Vishal Bhardwaj, Gulzar, Jack Nicholson and a few more might figure in next one...