Thursday, August 2, 2007

The 'Sanjay Dutt'

I do not really like to write about or comment on the daily news, specially about the crimes in India. I had lost faith in Indian Police/Judiciary long back and after the deluge of pitiable (read contemptible) news channels, I have lost all intrest as well. Today, however, is an exception. I find it impossible to ignore and keep mum.

Sanjay Dutt got a 6 year sentence. A very well deserved and a very very late decision. I am not even a mere observer in this entire drama. I was neither intrested in its progress (for the reasons mentioned above) nor was I waiting for the denouement. Nevertheless, despite this assumed nonchalance, I have to agree that as soon as I overheard people in my cubicle talking about it, I did open a news portal to check out the story. I also have to agree that I, for a few moments, actually found it relieving too. I have read about Mumbai Blasts a lot in the book 'Maximum city' and I grew up detesting everybody involved, the perpetrators as well as the Shrikrishna commission. So when another Criminal involved in the blasts was convicted yesterday, it brought a faint smile on my face. Judge Kode had restored a scintilla of my faith back in Indian Judiciary.

I did not care to think anymore, brushed things aside and got back to my daily routine. I came back home and expectedly found all news channles blaring out the same story at top of their voices. They had to. It was the top story of the day. I watched a visibly disappointed Sanjay dutt trying to keep his calm.

Later in the day, I was talking to a regular group of friends and this was the part that really frustrated me. This was the part that made me write what I am writing at present. I am unable to understand why people have even a tiny problem with Sanjay Dutt's conviction. Is there a single thing that suggests he did not commit the crime? Possession of AK-56 is a crime. Being a party to such a heinous act as Mumbai Blasts is a crime. I would intend to think that a lot more has been probably suppressed about him and the accusations have been brought down to merely keeping an AK-56 and then trying to destroy the same. People give following reasons why he should not have been punished.

--> He did not acquire AK-56, somebody planted it in his house.

--> He did keep AK-56 but for self defence.

--> He did keep AK-56, so what..? He did not kill anybody.

--> He has already suffered a lot of mental trauma, court should forgive him and grant him a bail.



I would not go categorically discussing all these and many more of this sort but what really concerns me is the underlying mentality that shrouds you all. Why in first place are you not ready to except him as a criminal? Is it because he is a celebrity, moreover, a very good actor and even more he has recently shown his onscreen-heart-of-gold as Munnabhai? Or is it because he is son of a supposedly great soul Sunil Dutt who has enjoyed an iconic presence in India till his death? is it becasue Sanjay enjoys a great rapport with fellow Bollywood personalities and entire film industry is standing in his support? (Dilip Kumar went to the extent of filing a PIL for his acquital) All this is true but I fail to relate any of these to the crime he perpetrated or was a party to. There exists absolutely no relation between his real life and reel life acts. He can go on winning filmfares and rule the heart of India as 'Gandhian Munnabhai' or 'Dr Murali Prasad Sharma', but by no means can any consideration be given to him for this while deciding upon the punishment for his acts.

Now, turning my attention to my dear friends who go on making claims in favour of Mr. Dutt: Guys, are you really that naive that you even want to believe that Somebody planted the Gun in his house or he kept it for self defence. I pity you if you do believe it. I would also like to ask, 'Would you have believed the same claims or even considered them if they had been made by some other lesser known criminal?' Why this partiality? I would go on to ask another question, 'Would you have given Sanjay same consideration if he had not made his mark in a couple great movies in last few years?' give me an honest answer. I know it would be 'NO'. Then what is the root of all this. The only answer that comes to my mind is 'Star Worshipping'. This is insane. This is gross. Is well being of the nation above your petty likings of the movie idols? Have you forgotten what havoc was wreaked in 1993? I hate you for short memory. The only grudge that I have with Honourable Kode's decision is that the decision took all these years to come up. This is the very reason of your short memory too...fellas.

I know that media loves controversy. Not only loves it, it thrives on it. I probably wouldn't blame media for beating the trumpet in Sanjay's favour. But not you my countrymen..!! Gimme reasons to believe that you are a much better lot.

2 comments:

Shifting Sands said...

Wow! plenty of naivety there, the law is supposed to go easy on first time criminals, in case you did not know. (people who are not habitual/professional criminals)This is because it is a well documented fact that a tough punishment can actually serve to make the accused a compulsive criminal. But what does Sanju get, 18 months in a high security prison, (out of which 3 months were in solitary confinement; this kind of confinement is meant for the most dangerous criminals)a trial lasting 14 fucking years where he has to be present on almost every hearing and then finally 6 years more in prison. As far as I am concerned, Sanju is simply paying the price of being a celebrity who has a soft heart. I mean if I were there in his place I would have screamed out aloud right from the start that I was being targeted for being a celebrity and for being somewhat pro-muslim at one time. This would have added even more pressure on your Mr. Kode and Sanju might have enjoyed even more sympathy from the public than what he does now (Everybody already loves him) But no, he respects the judiciary and dutifully pays respect to that hypocrite SOB Kode who finally screws him up real nice!!!

Siddhish said...

First time criminal..? I guess you need to dig some news to know he was a drug addict, which I hope you know is a crime in India.

Not a Most dangerous criminal..?
Neither of us have enough means to prove or disprove that, (unless you yourself are an investigator or lawyer) so I would rather leave that decision to the investigations that have been carried out.

I do agree that appearing before court for 14 fucking years is a big punishment. But our Indian Judiciary does work that way and its not just sanjay but its every Indian who pays the price in one way or other.

As for his soft heart, unless you know him personally, I think you are not entitled to make that statement and Everybody-loves-him is and was never the point.