Friday, July 6, 2007

Out of Network

A 17 inch monitor awkwardly juxtaposed to a vertically oriented CPU, an indifferent mouse and a confused mesh of intertwined wires, some of them wrapped in a glossy polythene covering and precisely one of them very delicately plugged into a network port, which I know is really delicate because none of my unintentional touches have gone unpunished. Just touch this wire and you are gloriously out of network. How can you expect a network port to be so fragile that a mere touch can wreak havoc
on its electronic micromechanism and stop the entire flow of data in and out of the workstation. But thats how it is. It demands extreme care and I spare no pains furnishing that. I have passed strict orders on all of my cube cohabitants to stay away from my CPU, I do not bring the coffee cups in a foot's radius of the CPU and I have stopped passing link-line-telephone to the adjacent cubicle. I guard my CPU like one guards an intimate secret but one pain that I do not take is to report the problem to the Hardware department. They, although known for their impeccable inefficiency, are not so scarebrained that they would not
know how to replace a network cord. I assume it because even I, the least informed about the nuances of hardware, can replace a network cord successfully.

Nevertheless, its fun sometimes and extreme irritation most of the times. I want to wait for the day I will be able to put myself to call up the hardware desk and get the cord replaced. Some day.!!